This dairy-free chicken broccoli casserole is full of all the creamy flavor you crave! Yet it’s both dairy-free and gluten-free making it perfect for anyone with a dairy allergy or intolerance! This no-bake version of the beloved classic comfort food comes together in just 35 to 40 minutes – even less if you already have cooked rice on hand!
Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Casserole
I grew up eating Chicken Broccoli Casserole. It was so creamy and full of a thick, cheesy sauce. The ultimate comfort food and perfectly yummy and satisfying. This Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Casserole is just as creamy and just as delicious. And it doesn’t have any dairy products or canned soups in it!
This recipe is very similar to my Scalloped Potatoes and Ham recipe and Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe. This casserole is perfect for those avoiding dairy and that sneaky gluten that is often hidden in canned soups. It’s even perfect for those following a Vegan diet if you leave out the chicken. Broccoli and rice smothered in a creamy sauce and topped with vegan cheddar cheese shreds? Yes please! It will take you back to your childhood full of ease when someone else cooked your meals for you.
What Is Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Casserole Good For?
Make Ahead Dinner
Chicken Broccoli Casserole is one of those dishes that keeps really well in the fridge so it’s a great option to make if you need to make dinner ahead of time. This also makes it a great choice to take to a new mom with a newborn. A friend brought me some after I had my second baby and it was just like having my mom there to cook for me!
This recipe makes a large portion so it should provide lunch for the next day too! And since this version is dairy-free it is perfect for any breastfeeding mom that needs to avoid dairy. When I take dinner to a new mom I also like to include something for breakfast the next morning, especially if there are older kids! Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal, Blender Banana Muffins, or ingredients for Breakfast Banana Splits would be great!
This Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Casserole is also perfect if you have a picky eater! Most kids love anything smothered in a creamy, cheesy sauce. And this sauce is creamy and cheesy! It could be a tasty way to get them to eat their broccoli if that’s a challenge. This casserole can also be made with chopped ham instead of chicken. Kids often love ham.
Use Up Leftovers
This recipe is also a good choice if you have leftover rice or chicken that needs to be used up. Leftover rotisserie chicken in the fridge? Chop it up and throw it in! Leftover rice from yesterday’s dinner that didn’t get eaten? Even better!
This recipe goes so fast if you already have cooked rice. Just heat the rice up in the microwave first and then mix it with the chopped chicken, steamed broccoli, and cheese sauce. It only takes about 25 to 30 minutes tops from start to finish if you already have cooked rice. I love that. I also make this recipe when I have broccoli that needs to be used up. It’s my kids’ favorite way to eat broccoli!
- Cooked chicken: Leftover grilled chicken or rotisserie work great here!
- Broccoli: Fresh or frozen are both fine.
- Rice: See section below
- Plant butter or olive oil
- Gluten-free flour: You may use normal white flour instead if you don’t need it to be gluten-free.
- Granulated chicken bouillon
- Onion flakes
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Plant milk: Unsweetened and original is the way to go in this recipe! I recommend almond milk as it has the most neutral flavor. However, you can also use soy milk or flax milk. I would avoid coconut milk or oat milk if possible.
- Vegan cheddar cheese shreds or steamed butternut squash, optional: These are both optional. However using one or the other will help the casserole to obtain a more “cheesy” flavor!
What Kind Of Rice To Use
I recommend long-grain rice for this recipe. Short grain rice or minute rice are stickier than long-grain rice and will change the consistency or your final product. Your casserole will be creamier if you skip the short-grain rice and go with long-grain.
You can use either white rice or brown rice for this recipe. White rice does better in casseroles but if you love brown rice then go for it!
How To Make Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This Chicken Broccoli Casserole is made differently from the classic version. But it’s just as tasty and almost just as easy. Instead of mixing together cheese, canned soup, and sour cream to make a creamy sauce, you’ll begin by making a roux sauce over the stove, add some plant-based milk, and some vegan cheddar cheese shreds.
Make a Roux Sauce
A roux is made by heating butter and flour together. Since this recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free it uses plant butter or olive oil instead of butter. It also uses gluten-free flour rather than white flour. You’ll whisk them together in a pan over medium heat along with salt and pepper. Once it thickens you will slowly whisk in unsweetened plant-based milk. I recommend either almond milk or soy milk for their more neutral flavor. However, any unsweetened plant-based milk will work.
Once the mixture starts to boil and thicken, remove the pan from the stove. You will then stir in the cheddar cheese shreds, if you are using them. Continue stirring until the cheese is fully melted and smooth. Mix the cheese sauce with the chicken and broccoli. You’re done! No baking involved. Serve over the rice and top the whole thing with additional cheese shreds if desired.
What To Serve With Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Casserole
I love Chicken Broccoli Casserole because it’s a complete meal. However, if you want to serve something alongside it I would opt for a fruit salad, steamed green beans, or even Roasted Beets and Carrots. Keep it simple.Print
Dairy-Free Chicken Broccoli Casserole
A dairy-free version of the comfort classic casserole. Just as creamy and cheesy as ever!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner, Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups cooked and chopped chicken breast
- 1 lb steamed broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/3 cup olive oil or plant butter
- 1/3 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 2 tsps granulated chicken boullion
- 1/2 tsp onion flakes
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups plant-based milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds or 10 oz frozen butternut squash cubes, optional
- Gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond meal
- Vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Cook rice according to package directions. While the rice is cooking, heat olive oil or plant butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in gluten-free flour, granulated chicken boullion, onion flakes, parsley, garlic powder, and black pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly stir in milk, whisking constantly. Continue to heat, while stirring occasionally, until the sauce begins to thicken. Remove from stove. Stir in vegan cheese shreds and mix until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- If you are using frozen butternut squash instead of the vegan cheese shreds, steam the squash in the microwave. Carefully add it to a blender and blend. Stir it into the sauce until it is fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked chicken, steamed broccoli and cheese sauce and stir to evenly coat distribute. Pour it into a casserole dish. Top with additional cheese shreds, gluten-free breadcrumbs, or almond meal if desired. Serve over rice.
- Calories: 455 calories
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 57 g
- Protein: 21 g
Keywords: Dairy free chicken broccoli casserole, chicken divan, chicken recipes, casserole