Get ready for the most delicious recipe you could possibly make today – Gluten free churros! This allergy friendly version of the traditional Spanish/Mexican dessert is just as good as the original – crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Full of all the mouth watering cinnamon sugar flavors. Everyone needs a churro!
Churros are one of the most popular treats – and one of my favorites! There’s nothing like sinking my teeth into the crispy yet fluffy cinnamon flavored dessert. And homemade ones are even better by far. If you’ve never had a homemade churro then you are missing out. Drop everything and rush to the kitchen right now to make these! You’ll never look at other churros the same way again.
My family loves to eat these fresh gluten free churros with a mug of steaming (dairy free) hot chocolate. I’m not so much of a hot chocolate person (am I the only one that gets stomach aches from hot chocolate??) but I love a glass of cold almond or soy milk alongside my churro.
These sweet, cinnamon churros would be great at a Christmas party or birthday party. Or they make a fun activity for a rainy day when you’re stuck inside. I assume anyway – I live in Southern California where it hardly ever rains! But my kids love to bake with me in the kitchen no matter what the weather is like outside.
In Spain, churros are made without many of the allergy-containing ingredients you’ll find in most homemae churro recipes. Tradtionally, churros are made with just flour, salt, and water! However, in Mexico, milk and eggs are sometimes added.
While Mexican churros are delicious, these sweet, tasty churros skip the white flour, milk, and eggs so they are completely allergy friendly! They contain none of the top food allergens which makes them safe for just about anyone! Everyone should be able enjoy a delicious churro anytime they want one – and that’s possible with these gluten free churros.
These churros are:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Top 10 allergen free
What you Need for Gluten Free Churros
- A medium-sized pot: You’ll need something large enough to fry a few churros at once in a couple inches of oil.
- Piping bag: You’ll pipe the churro dough in order to get the perfect cinnamon sticks! Use a large star-tip with your piping bag to get the characteristic ridges.
- Thermometer: To check the temperature of the oil before frying. The optimal temperature of oil for frying is between 350 degrees to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t have a cooking thermometer then alternatively you could carefully drop a small piece of dough into the oil. It it bubbles and floats to the top then your oil is a good temperature!
- Kitchen scissors: To cut your dough sticks from the piping bag.
Ingredients for Vegan and Gluten Free Churros
- Oil for frying: Any suitable frying oil. Use whatever our preference is.
- Plant butter: You can also use regular old butter if you don’t need or want to avoid dairy.
- White sugar: Divided. Sugar will be mixed into the dough as well as mixed with cinnamon sugar for rolling those yummy churros in!
- Gluten free all purpose flour: Your favorite cup-for-cup gluten free blend. Any brand should work, although some brands have better flavors than others. I like King Arthur.
- White vinegar: I know it seems weird to add white vinegar to churro dough – but it reacts with the baking soda which makes the churros nice and fluffy on the inside. The best kind of churro is crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- Baking powder: Another essential for perfectly fluffy churros.
- Baking soda
- Vanilla Extract
You’ll also need 1 cup of water for the churro dough.
How to Make Gluten Free Churros
- Bring to boil: You’ll begin by bringing a pot of water to boil on the stove. Add 1 cup of water, the vegan butter chunks, and 3 tbsp of white sugar to a medium sized pot. Set it over high heat and bring it to boil.
- Add remaining ingredients: Add the rest of the ingredients (gluten free flour, salt white vinegar, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla extract) to the pot. Stir until smooth and remove from heat. Cool for 5 minutes
- Heat the oil: Add about 2 inches of frying oil to a deep pot. Heat it to roughly 360 degrees.
- Bag the dough: Add your churro dough to a large piping bag fitted with a star tip. If you don’t have a piping bag you can also use a large gallon size Ziploc bag. Cut off one of the corners and you’re good to go!
- Pipe the dough: Very carefully pipe the dough into the hot oil. Pipe about 6 inches and then cut the dough from the bag. Repeat. You can probably fit around 5 churros in the pan at a time depending on what size you use.
- Fry the churros: Let the churros fry for about two minutes and then flip. Fry for two more minutes.
- Quick dry: Remove the hot churros from the oil with tongs or a slotted spoon. Set the churros down on a paper towel briefly before adding them to the cinnamon sugar mixture. If you wait too long the churros will dry and the sugar mixture won’t stick to them! However, if you add the churros to the cinnamon sugar immediately then your sugar can get too oily! Let the churros rest on the paper towel for only about 10 seconds.
- Serve warm: After you have rolled the churros in the cinnamon sugar mixture it’s time to serve them! These churros are best served warm and fresh!
This picture above is what the churro dough should look like after mixing.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes
Chocolate chip cookies and Mexican food are my very favorite kinds of food – just give me all the cookies and tacos! If you love Mexican food too, then check out these other Mexican inspired recipes. I say inspired because they aren’t necessarily authentic – but they are delicious!
One More Thing! Get My Free eBook!
Looking for more gluten free dessert recipes? Subscribe below and get my free desserts eBook sent right to your inbox! By subscribing you will never miss another gluten free and allergy friendly recipe as all my recipes will be sent to your inbox each week! You can also stay up-to-date by following me on Pinterest and Instagram.Print
Sweet and Simple Gluten Free Churros (Vegan!)
Gluten free churros that are crispy on the outside and warm and fluffy on the inside! Just the way a churro should be.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 churros 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup plant butter, chopped
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour blend
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Oil for frying
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- In a medium-sized pot, bring to boil the water, vegan butter, and sugar. Stir and remove from heat.
- Stir in the remaining churro ingredients. Stir until the dough comes together and is smooth.
- Add frying oiling about 2 inches deep to a medium sized pot. Heat until roughly 360 degrees.
- While the oil is heating, add the the gluten free churro dough into a piping bag. Once the oil is hot, carefully pipe dough, 6 inches at a time, into the hot oil. Cut with kitchen scissors and repeat.
- Fry the churros for 2 minutes, flip and fry for 2 more minutes. While the churros are frying, prepare the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Once the churros are cooked, remove them from the oil with tongs or a slotted spoon. Briefly set them down on a paper towel to drip off any excess oil. Don’t let them sit for more than 10-15 seconds or they will dry to much and the cinnamon sugar won’t stick!
- Roll the churros in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve while fresh and warm.
- Serving Size: 1 churro
- Calories: 192 calories
- Fat: 8.3 grams fat
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Protein: 0.7 grams
Keywords: gluten free churros, vegan churros, homemade churros