Gluten free chicken wings are here! These wings are baked right in the oven, which is sooooo much easier (and healthier!) than fried wings! I love fried wings but I prefer those stay at the restaurant when I’m not the one in charge of cooking and cleaning!
These oven baked wings are so simple. They’re easy to make and it’s a breeze to whip up a big batch for all your friends during the big game. This tasty dish is essential for any American sports party – and now with this gluten free version everyone can have them!
Buffalo chicken wings were first made and served in New York in the 1964. Teressa Bellissimo served them in her family-owned restaurant, the Anchor Bar, by frying them up and serving them in her own special spicy sauce alongside some celery and blue cheese dressing ( you can read more about it here). Buffalo wings are now an absolute staple for many restaurants, tailgating parties, and summer barbecues.
Many chicken wing recipes contain wheat and dairy – two of the most common food allergies in America! This American food staple is a big no for many people. But not to worry – this recipe is completely allergy-friendly!
I always recommend serving allergy-friendly options at parties. Providing this allergy-friendly chicken wing recipe at your next big game party is a great way to make everyone feel included! You can even use this recipe for the wing coating and then fry them if you prefer!
All of my recipes are free from wheat, eggs, dairy, peanuts, and cashews and this recipe isn’t any different. These buffalo wings are:
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Peanut free
- Tree nut free
- Soy free
- Sesame free
- Top 10 allergen free
Need more allergy friendly recipes? Be sure to check out my Recipe Index!
What You Need for Gluten Free Chicken Wings
- Oven safe metal rack: Make sure it’s oven safe! Spray the rack lightly with cooking spray so the wings don’t stick.
- Large baking sheet: Line the baking sheet with foil for easy clean up!
- Sauce pot: A small to medium size is perfect.
Ingredients for Gluten Free Chicken Wings
- Party wings: I used Tyson Party Wings but you can use whatever you can find at the store. Keep in mind that regular wings might be a little bigger than party wings so they would take a little longer to cook.
- Gluten free all purpose flour: You can also use regular flour if you don’t need gluten free.
- Baking powder: Baking powder makes these baked buffalo wings nice and crispy!
- Spices: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. You can also add in a dash of turmeric if you want!
- Plant butter: Or regular butter if you aren’t dairy free.
- Buffalo sauce: I like Frank’s brand.
- Honey: This is optional. Adding a bit of honey makes the wings a little less spicy. Use as much or as little honey as you wish.
How to Make Gluten Free Chicken Wings
These oven baked wings are super simple to make. They do take about 45 minutes in the oven but the prep work is minimal!
- Dry the wings: First, pat the wings VERY dry. Dry wings are essential to crispy baked chicken wings. If there is moisture on the wings then they won’t crisp up the way you want them to.
- Prepare the pan: After the wings are dry it’s time to prepare your pan. Lightly spray an oven safe metal rack and place it on a large baking sheet. Tip: for each clean up line the baking sheet with foil first.
- Mix the ingredients: Next, mix together all your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Coat the wings: Working with one wing at a time, roll the wings through the gluten free flour and baking powder mixture. Coat each side of the wing evenly.
- Bake: Place the wings on the rack. Bake them for 20 minutes, flip them, and then bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Flip: After you have flipped the wings and returned them to the oven it’s time to make the sauce.
- Make the sauce: Add the buffalo sauce ingredients to the pan and heat.
- Coat: Once the wings are out of the oven turn the oven to low broil. Coat the wings with the buffalo sauce. Then place the wings back on the rack and put them back in the oven.
- Broil: Broil for 2 to 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to caramelize.
- Serve: Serve the wings with celery, carrot sticks, and blue cheese or ranch dressing.
What to Serve with Wings
Traditionally, buffalo wings are served with celery, carrot sticks, and blue cheese dressing or ranch. I”m not a blue cheese person, like at all, so I serve these gluten free chicken wings with ranch. Use dairy-free ranch or blue cheese dressing if needed.
If you are serving wings as more of a meal rather than party food, some great side dish options:
- Macaroni and cheese
- A green salad
- Avocado fries
- Cucumber Avocado and Tomato Salad
- French fries
- Roasted potatoes
- Corn on the cob (my personal favorite)
- Pasta salad
See below on what to serve alongside these wings at a party!
Other Party Food Recipes
Need some other allergy-friendly party foods for the big game? I’ve got them for you!
All of these recipes are gluten and wheat free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free.
- Spicy Bean Dip
- Sweet Potato Fries with Spicy Avocado Dipping Sauce
- Dairy-free Queso
- Soft Pretzel Bites
And because every party needs an amazing chocolate chip cookie, try the most amazing chocolate chip cookies ever.Print
Gluten-free Chicken Wings Baked in the Oven
These gluten free chicken wings are simple, easy, and baked right in the oven for a healthier version!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 pound party wings
- 1 tbsp gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup plant butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a metal oven-safe cooking rack with cooking spray and place it over a foil-lined baking sheet. Pat chicken wings VERY dry with a paper towel.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together gluten-free flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- One at a time, coat the chicken wings evenly with the gluten-free flour mix. Place the chicken wings on the metal cooking rack.
- Bake the gluten free chicken wings for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the chicken wings are golden and crispy and have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- While the wings are cooking, melt the plant butter in a pan over the stove. Stir in buffalo sauce and honey and heat through. As soon as the chicken wings come out of the oven, coat them in buffalo sauce.
- Turn the broiler on low. Place the sauced wings back on the rack and stick them back in the oven. Broil until the sauce starts to caramelize, about 2 to 5 minutes. Watch the carefully!
- Serve with carrots, celery, and your favorite dairy-free ranch or blue cheese dressing.
- Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 343 calories
- Fat: 28 grams
- Carbohydrates: 5 grams
- Protein: 17 grams
Keywords: gluten free chicken wings, oven baked chicken wings, buffalo wings
One More Thing! Get My Free eBook!
Get my FREE desserts eBook by signing up below! By subscribing you’ll never miss another recipe. All my allergy-friendly recipes will be sent right to your inbox! You can also find all my recipes by following me on Pinterest and Instagram.