This recipe for gluten free biscuits and gravy is perfect! Warm, fluffy, and golden biscuits smothered in a hearty, creamy gravy full of flavorful sausage. The whole thing only takes about 35 minutes – so you’ve only got 35 minutes between you and tastiest decision of your day.
Biscuits and gravy is a very rare occurrence in my house – but it’s always a deliciously filling one. It makes for an extra special breakfast that is perfect for Easter, Christmas, birthdays, or a special weekend brunch.
You can even serve biscuits and gravy for dinner. My mom never made biscuits and gravy for breakfast that I can remember. However she did (very) occasionally make it for dinner. It makes the perfect dinner on a cold night when you need something warm, hearty, and filling in your belly.I grew up in Iowa where those nights are frequent! And who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner?
This biscuit and gravy recipe is free from all top food allergens so it’s perfect for just about everyone! This recipe is free from:
- Top 10 food allergens
If you need a vegan gluten free biscuits and gravy recipe then simply leave out the sausage or use your favorite vegan sausage alternative!
What You Need for Dairy Free and Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy
- Large baking sheet: For baking your biscuits.
- Large saucepan: You’ll need a relatively large pan to hold all the gravy!
Ingredients Needed for Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy
- Gluten free all purpose flour blend: Your favorite cup-for-cup blend. I like King Arthur but any kind should work!
- Oat flour: I swear by using oat flour in conjunction with all purpose flour. I think the texture is so much better. Chocolate chip cookies are about the only thing I just use straight gluten free flour for without adding any oat flour.
- Arrowroot powder: You can also use cornstarch or your other favorite thickener. I use it in the biscuits to help stabilize them so they hold together better.
- Plant milk: Use something mild flavored. I prefer unsweetened almond milk for baking. But if you have a nut allergy you can also use flax, soy, or oat milk. Alternatively, you can use whole milk if you don’t need your biscuits and gravy to be dairy free.
- Plant butter: Once again, just use regular old butter if you can have it.
- Breakfast sausage: I love the maple flavored sausage. You can omit the sausage or use a vegan sausage alternative if you prefer to go the vegan route.
- White vinegar
- Baking powder
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy
This gluten free biscuit and gravy recipe is super simple! You can whip this together in about 35 minutes if you make your biscuits drop biscuits. You can also roll our the biscuit dough and cut them out if you prefer – just keep in mind this will add time. I almost always do drop biscuits because they’re easier and faster than cut-out biscuits.
- Make the biscuits: Mix together your dry ingredients and then cut in the butter. Mix the butter and flour mixture together until crumbly and then add the white vinegar and the milk. Mix it all up and drop 1/4 cup balls of dough on a greased baking sheet. Bake until fluffy and golden brown.
- Brown the sausage: I start browning the sausage after I get my biscuits on the pan but before I put them in the oven. Brown the sausage for about 5 minutes and then stick the biscuits in the oven. The biscuits and gravy will be done at the same time this way!
- Make the sausage gravy: After the sausage is completely cooked, stir in the gluten free flour, salt, and black pepper. Mix it together evenly and then add in your milk of choice. Cook over medium heat until the gravy thickens. Cook on low for 2 more minutes and then remove from heat.
- Serve: Drop a biscuit or two on a plate and smother with your gravy.
Other Breakfast Ideas
Gluten free breakfast ideas are hard to come by – especially if you also need to avoid dairy! Check out these yummy breakfast recipes below – like all the recipes are my blog they are all free from wheat, gluten, eggs, dairy, peanuts, and cashews.
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Breakfast Fried Rice
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones
- Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Breakfast Blueberry Oat Muffins
- Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake
- Breakfast Banana Splits
One More Thing! Get My Free eBook!
Are you looking for even more gluten free or dairy free recipes? Get my free dessert eBook by subscribing below! This eBook has 10 dessert recipes that are all free from wheat, gluten, dairy, eggs, peanuts, and cashews! By subscribing below you’ll never miss another allergy friendly recipe, as all of my new recipes will be sent right to your inbox. You can also keep up-to-date with all my recipes by following me on Pinterest and Instagram.Print
Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy (Dairy Free!)
This gluten free biscuits and gravy recipe is just what you’ve been looking for! Warm, fluffy, and golden biscuits smothered in a creamy, dairy-free gravy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose blend
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plant butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup plant milk, or cows milk
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup gluten free all purpose blend
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups plant milk, or cow’s milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the biscuits by adding the gluten free flour, oat flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, and salt to a bowl. Mix together then add in the butter pieces. Use a pastry cutter or your hands to mix together until crumbly.
- Add milk and vinegar and stir until the dough just comes together.
- Drop 1/4 cup balls of dough on a greased baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Lightly spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat and then add the sausage. Use a metal spatula to break the sausage apart into small pieces. Cook the sausage until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Turn the stove top down to medium-low heat. Add the gluten free flour, salt, and pepper. Stir until mixed completely. Slowly add the milk while stirring.
- Cook the sausage gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens. It may take up to 10 minutes to thicken completely. If the gravy gets too thick then simply add an extra splash of milk and stir.
- Spoon the gravy over the hot biscuits and serve immediately.
- Nutrition facts are based on plant milk.
- Serving Size: 1/12th of recipe
- Calories: 286 calories
- Fat: 16 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
Keywords: gluten free biscuits and gravy, dairy free biscuits and gravy, biscuits and sausage gravy