Garlic asparagus roasted in the oven is one of the easiest side dishes you can make! This tasty recipe is done in only 20 minutes and is a great way to add more vegetables to your diet.
I used to be a big vegetable eater. Unfortunately I don’t eat as many now as I used to. I swear having 3 kids has ruined my eating habits. Between postpartum sugar cravings and just being super busy I have found that the last few years I’m reaching for – and cooking – fewer vegetables than I used to.
One of my goals this year is to work on adding those vegetables back into my diet. One of the ways I am doing this is with roasted vegetables. I love roasted vegetables. They’re simple, easy, and soooo tasty! Roasting vegetables automatically makes them so much yummier.
And because asparagus is one of the easiest vegetables to roast, it’s showing up at our dinner table more frequently lately.
Garlic is one of my favorite spices so naturally I love to add it to my roasted vegetables. Mixing it with asparagus just had to happen for me. And huge bonus – it gives the asparagus tons flavor without any Parmesan cheese or other common food allergens. Anyone can eat this asparagus – unless maybe you don’t like garlic.
Allergy-friendly side dishes can be hard to find. So many side dishes contain wheat and dairy – even simple roasted vegetable dishes! This garlic asparagus is dairy free, gluten free, and allergy friendly.
It’s free from all top food allergens and is:
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Wheat free
- Nut free
- Soy and sesame free
Garlic Asparagus Is Perfect for Busy Nights
I love a simple roasted vegetable for busy weeknights when I don’t have time, or energy, to make an elaborate side dish. Some of my favorites include Roasted Beets and Carrots and Roasted and Seasoned Red Potatoes. And while those are both easy and delicious, they do involve some peeling and chopping. Some nights even peeling and chopping are too much. Can anyone else relate?
This recipe is so simple, in part, because there is no peeling involved! And the only chopping that needs to be done takes a total of 1 minute. Chopping those ends off the asparagus hardly counts as chopping.
And once you slather the asparagus with olive oil and the seasonings it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to cook. The whole thing can be done in 20 minutes or less. Perfect for a busy night.
What You Need to Make Roasted Garlic Asparagus
- Large rimmed baking sheet: You don’t need any special equipment to roast asparagus. All you need is a large baking sheet. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up. I never use to line my baking sheets with parchment paper but now I realize it’s so worth it.
Ingredients for Garlic Asparagus
- Oil: I like to use extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil but you can use whatever you prefer.
- Minced garlic: I use the jarred minced garlic but you can also use fresh garlic and mince it yourself.
- Salt and pepper
How to Roast Garlic Asparagus in the Oven
Roasted vegetables are so, so, so tasty but are also so easy! This recipe isn’t any different. This recipe is one of the simplest side dishes you can make.
- Preheat the oven: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the pan: Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Alternatively you spray the baking sheet with cooking spray but I prefer parchment paper since it makes clean up so much easier. Even though the asparagus is coated in oil it can still stick to the pan if you don’t prepare the pan correctly.
- Wash and trim: Wash the asparagus and then dry it completely. Veggies roast much better if they are very dry. Then, cut the pale-colored ends off the asparagus spears. The bottoms of asparagus can be very tough so it’s better to chop them off.
- Mix the seasonings: In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange: Arrange the asparagus spears on the prepared baking sheet. Pour the olive oil and garlic mixture over the spears and toss to coat. Arrange the asparagus back into a single layer, leaving a little space between the spears.
- Roast: Bake the asparagus in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Serve: Serve while nice, hot, and fresh from the oven!
What to Serve With Asparagus
I’m quite sure that asparagus goes with just about everything. There are countless dinner options that pair perfectly with this green vegetable.
Any of these dishes are wonderful with asparagus:
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Garlic Steak with Mushrooms
- Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Honey Mustard Chicken
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Citrus Herb Turkey
- Taco Sweet Potato
- Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta
Some super simple dinner ideas that also go great with garlic roasted asparagus are burgers, spaghetti, and loaded baked potatoes.Print
Garlic Asparagus in the Oven
This easy garlic asparagus is roasted in the oven and makes a quick and healthy addition to any meal!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Sheet Pan
- Cuisine: American
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash asparagus and dry completely. Trim ends from the bottom of stalks.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, minced garlic, black pepper, and salt. Pour the garlic and oil mixture over the asparagus. Toss to coat. Spread asparagus back out into a single layer, leaving a little space between each piece.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and pierced easily with a fork.
- Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 76 calories
- Fat: 6.8 grams
- Carbohydrates: 3.1 grams
- Protein: 1.8 grams
Keywords: garlic asparagus, roasted asparagus, vegetable side dish, roasted vegetables
One More Thing! Get My Free eBook!
Get my FREE desserts eBook by signing up below! By subscribing you’ll never miss another recipe. All my allergy-friendly recipes will be sent right to your inbox! You can also find all my recipes by following me on Pinterest and Instagram.