These are quite literally THE BEST chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies. Seriously. THE ABSOLUTE BEST. Chocolate chip cookies are my very favorite food (along with tacos!) but that doesn’t mean I like just any kind of chocolate chip cookie. I want the chewy, gooey, melts-in-your-mouth kind of chocolate chip cookie.
You know the kind I’m talking about. Because that’s the kind you want to. Often times it can be hard to find a recipe like that that is both vegan and gluten-free (and these ones are)! Well not to worry. I’ve got the perfect recipe for chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies. I’m not going to let you down.
Everyone I’ve ever made these cookies for just raves about them. And I don’t mind telling you so! They’re everything you’ve ever wanted in a chocolate chip cookie! You’d never even know they are both gluten free and vegan!
I take my chocolate chip cookies very seriously. So you can trust me.
If you have been to my blog before then you know creating allergy-friendly recipes that everyone can eat is important to me. It’s what my whole blog is about!
The same is true for these cookies. They’re gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. They’re vegan chocolate chip cookies. But overall they are allergy-friendly chocolate chip cookies. Allergy-friendly to the core.
These chocolate chip cookies are made without the typical wheat, eggs, and dairy. Additionally they are made without nuts or nut flours. They’re top 8 allergen free – but they’re so good that no one would ever guess!
In a nut-shell these cookies are:
- Gluten free
- Nut free
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Soy and sesame free
- Top 10 allergen free
What You Need for Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
So what’s in this recipe for chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies if there’s no wheat, eggs, dairy, or nuts? Only ingredients that make them safe for just about anyone to eat! Here’s what you’ll need for these allergy-friendly chocolate chip cookies.
- Baking sheet: Lined with parchment paper for easy cookie removal!
- Cooling rack
- Mixing bowl and spoon or a stand mixer
Ingredients for Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Palm oil shortening: I love pal oil shortening in these cookies! It makes these cookies so soft, fluffy, and chewy. If you don’t have any palm oil shortening you can also use an equivalent shortening. I’ll link the one I use below!
- Vegan (plant) butter:
- Water: The eggs in these vegan cookies gets partially replaced with water.
- Sugar: Both brown sugar and white sugar. Most recipes have you use mostly white sugar with a small amount of brown sugar. I switch it around and you’ll use mostly brown sugar for this recipe. It’s so good this way!
- Vanilla extract: I’m always a fan of pure vanilla extract but you can use imitation as well.
- Gluten-free all purpose flour: Your favorite cup-for-cup gluten free blend. King Arthur brand is my personal favorite. Alternatively, you can use regular flour if you don’t need gluten free cookies.
- Baking powder: Baking powder helps leaven the cookies – something the eggs usually do.
- Baking soda
- Dairy-free chocolate chips: I’ve tried soooo many different kinds of allergy friendly chocolate chips. Nestle’s Allergen Free Chocolate Chips are my very favorite. They are pricey on Amazon but if you can’t them find them or any other suitable dairy free chocolate chips in a store around you then I would opt for Enjoy Life Mini Chips on Amazon. They’re another great brand and a little easier on the budget!
That’s really it! There’s nothing in these cookies that would prevent almost anyone from eating them! Perfectly chewy and gooey. Perfectly safe and allergy-friendly.
Ingredient Quick Links
(Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. This helps me offset the cost of running my site. All opinions are my own.)Palm Oil Shortening 5 lb Bag Enjoy Life Mini Chips Pack of 6 Enjoy Life Mini Chips King Arthur Gluten Free Flour
How to Make Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
You’ll make these chocolate chip cookies the same way you would make classic cookies.
- First, mix together the palm oil shortening, vegan butter, and water. You’ll want to mix until the water is fully incorporated into the butter and shortening. It might look a little odd at first, but the water will mix in just fine. It only takes a couple of minutes.
- Second, add in the sugars and vanilla extract, mix gently. Then, you’ll mix together all your dry ingredients. After you have mixed the gluten-free flour with the salt, baking powder, and soda, you will add it to the sugar mixture. Then add in your dairy free chocolate chips.
- Lastly, you will form the cookies. Because these cookies are made without eggs they will not spread in the oven like the typical cookie. In order to get a nice looking cookie you will need to flatten it before cooking. To do this, simply roll the dough into balls, put them on the cookie sheet, and then gently press down on the tops of the cookie. This will flatten it down so that the end result will be that of a typical cookie.
If you don’t need your cookies to be free from ALL top 8 food allergens then you can easily replace ingredients in this recipe. Are you able to eat butter? Then feel free to use butter instead of the shortening and vegan butter! If you choose to use real butter for this recipe then you will need to increase the amount of flour you use. This is because butter has a higher water content then shortening. Increase the amount of flour you use to 2 1/2 cups.
If you only need your cookies to be vegan and not gluten-free, then feel free to use a different flour. You can substitute the gluten-free flour for all purpose flour without changing the amount used.
I really love this recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies. I really, really do. I hope you give them a try and that you love them just as much as I do. I would love to hear what you think! Please let me know in the comment section below!
Now go make these cookies! Stat. No excuse is ever needed to make chocolate chip cookies. Not ever. Enjoy!
More Delicious Vegan Desserts!
Check out these other mouth-watering vegan desserts! As with all recipes on my blog, they are free from gluten, dairy, eggs, peanuts, and cashews!
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
- Apple Pie
- Peach Pie
- Coconut Banana Cream Pie
One More Thing! Get My Free eBook!
Looking for more vegan dessert recipes? Subscribe below and get my free desserts eBook sent right to your inbox! By subscribing you will never miss another gluten free and allergy friendly recipe as all my recipes will be sent to your inbox each week! You can also stay up-to-date by following me on Pinterest and Instagram.Print
Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
These are the PERFECT chewy vegan chocolate chip cookies. Perfectly soft, chewy, and chocolaty. And they’re free from all top 8 food allergens!
- Prep Time: 18 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 36 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup palm oil shortening (or equivalent shortening)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream together shortening, vegan butter, and water. Mix until water is fully incorporated. Add in white sugar, brown, sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix gently.
- In a separate bowl, mix together gluten-free all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to sugar mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips. Form into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Gently press down on cookies to flatten. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Calories: 130
Keywords: vegan chewy chocolate chip cookies, gluten free chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip, chocolate chip cookies, cookies