Dessert For Breakfast?
We love breakfast around here. Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal and Banana Muffins are some of our favorite breakfasts. Both of them are great choices for when we need a make ahead breakfast, which is often. If I have a few minutes in the morning then I often make these breakfast banana splits. They only take a few minutes to make, which is the kind of breakfast I need. However, you can save even more time in the morning by skipping the berry sauce or making it the night before. Even though my son is still doing school at home over Zoom, our mornings are busy and rushed. I usually have very few minutes to spare. I often skip the berry sauce unless I have made it the night before. It’s delicious either way.
My kids love these so much that they don’t even know there is any other kind of banana split. My 7-year-old’s teacher asks a few kids every morning to share what they ate for breakfast. Well one morning she called on him and he proudly and enthusiastically shared that he had a banana split for breakfast. I cringed a little knowing that his teacher and all the parents listening thought I was feeding my kid a big bowl of ice cream smothered in chocolate syrup for breakfast. Truthfully, I have let my kids have cake for breakfast after a birthday. But I typically try to feed my kids a nice healthy breakfast. These banana splits are perfect for that.
How To Make Berry Sauce
Breakfast Banana Splits are delicious with or without the berry sauce. The berry sauce is so simple and only takes about 5 minutes to make. Sometimes even that is too much for me when I have 3 kids clamoring for breakfast. So, I typically prefer to make the berry sauce ahead of time. It stores great it the fridge overnight and I prefer the berry sauce cold over the banana splits anyway.
You can use any kind of frozen berries for the berry sauce. We typically use a triple berry blend, but it is delicious with simply frozen strawberries. Similarly, you could use frozen blueberries, strawberries, or blackberries. There are only three things you need for the berry sauce: frozen berries, pure maple syrup, and a tad bit of water. First, add a half tablespoon of water to a small pot. This is to ensure the berries don’t burn on the bottom. You don’t need much water. Too much water will make the sauce too thin. Next, add the berries and maple syrup to the pot. After that, you will simply simmer the berries until they soften and begin to break down. Lastly, mash the berries with a fork or vegetable masher. You can serve the berry sauce either warm or cold.
There are so many yummy allergy-friendly toppings to add to you banana splits! We love to top ours with dairy-free yogurt, blueberries, sliced strawberries, slivered almonds, and shredded coconut flakes. Other great options include:
- Chopped pineapple
- Diced kiwi
- Nut butter or sunbutter
- Fresh raspberries and blackberries
- Gluten-free granola
- Flax seeds or chia seeds
The possibilities are endless! Many of these choices may already be part of your every-day breakfast but they get new life when served up in a healthy banana split! Try out different combinations and then let me know which toppings are your favorite.
How To Assemble Breakfast Banana Splits
- First, cut the bananas in half lengthwise and place in a dish. Cutting the banana is easier with the banana on it’s side.
- Second, add your dairy-free yogurt between the banana slices. Any flavor of yogurt is delicious and works great in the banana splits.
- Thirdly, add your favorite toppings such as chopped fruit, fresh berries, slivered almonds, seeds, etc.
- Next, add your sauces such as berry sauce, nut butter, and honey. In addition, we occasionally top our banana splits with a little coconut whipped cream.
- Lastly, enjoy your deliciously decadent breakfast!
You’ll feel so great starting your day off with these breakfast banana splits. They are so tasty and indulgent. Above all, they are full of healthy nutrients like fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Vitamin B6. There is a reason berries are often labeled a superfood! Healthy breakfast banana splits are so tasty that I know they’ll quickly become one of your favorite breakfasts!
Breakfast Banana Split
- Small pot
- 3 bananas
- 1 5 oz container dairy-free yogurt
- ¾ cup sliced strawberries
- ¾ cup blueberries
- 1½ tbsp slivered almonds omit for nut-free
- 1½ tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 cup frozen berries any kind
- ½ tbsp water
- 1½ tbsp pure maple syrup
- Begin by making the berry sauce. Add the water, frozen berries, and pure maple syrup to a small pot. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the berries begin to soften and break down. Remove from heat and mash with a fork or vegetable masher.
- Slice the bananas in half lengthwise. Top each banana with ⅓ of the yogurt, ¼ cup sliced strawberries, ¼ cup blueberries, ½ tbsp slivered almonds, and ½ tbsp shredded coconut. Top with berry sauce.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then I would love to see it! Please share a picture on Instagram and tag @allergyalamode and hashtag it #allergyalamode.